Extended Family Visiting allows an inmate’s immediate family (spouse, child, parent, etc.) to spend 36-72 hours with their Loved One in a private setting. Depending on the crime, family members may be able to obtain permission to have this privilege. These visits can be scheduled every quarter, or when space is available.
To do schedule a family visit:
I. You must be an approved visitor;
II. The inmate must apply to their Correctional Counselor for a family visit;
III. Once approved, schedule the date through the Family Visiting Officer and your Loved One.
IV. The Family Visiting Officer will give the inmate a Family Visiting Menu. The inmate sends the menu to their visiting family member. The visitor will order by phone, fax or mail, food items for the visit supplied by an approved vender. This is for non-perishable items.
V. The family member will send money to the institution’s accounting office for milk, eggs and fresh fruit and vegetables, perishable items. You must indicate on the check or money order that these funds are for Family Visiting. Family Visiting funds will not be subject to restitution.
Family Visits occur in private, apartment-like facilities on prison grounds and last approximately 36 to 72 hours. Prisoners on Death Row, with life sentences, with convictions for sex offenses, or under disciplinary restrictions are not eligible for family visits. Family visits are further restricted by availability; usually one visit every three to five months. Questions about family visiting should be directed by the prisoner to his/her counselor or by the family to visiting staff.
There are other factors which may restrict a prisoner’s eligibility to visit. Some of these factors require the visitor to check with the prisoner about his/her particular circumstances, while other factors require the visitor to check with the prison. The prisoner must obtain prior written approval to visit during work or school hours by seeking Excused Time Off (ETO) from his/her supervisor. The prisoner’s criminal history: Some prisoners may have restrictions to visit with minors based on their convictions.
Allowable Items for Family Visit
- You may bring a change of clothing for each day and sleep wear. Clothing must be in paper, plastic, or fabric bags. No suitcases are allowed.
- Basic personal hygiene and cosmetic items in the amount necessary for the length of the family visit. No aerosols are allowed.
- Locker Key
- Prescribed medications, including birth control. Visitors may retain only life-sustaining, condition-stabilizing medication with the prescribing physician’s written statement of its immediate need, and only in the physician’s prescribed amount immediately required to sustain or stabilize the condition during the visit. Female visitors may retain their birth control pills.
- A maximum of ten commercially sealed condoms per visit
- Soft cover books and magazines
- Disposable diapers
- Small toys for any children
You must check with the Family Visiting Officer for specifics.